Warner walk-off after

Sydney – David Warner's decision to withdraw midway through the Sydney game was triggered by "hurtful" comments from the brother of former test partner Phillip Hughes, who died in 2014 after of being hit by a ball, his wife said on Sunday.

The former vice-captain of Australia, who is serving a 12-month international and state cricket penalty for his role in a ball-handling scandal, was batting for his Randwick-Petersham club at that time on Saturday.

He left the field at 35 but came back shortly after the intervention of his teammates, and got a stately 157.

Candice Warner said that Jason Hughes, Phillip's brother, whose tragic death shook the world sports – was the culprit.

"Look, I'm not going to go into detail." However, David was surprised by the comments and thought they went a bit too far, so he decided to withdraw himself from the game, "he told Channel Nine.

Cricket Australi's website claimed that what started as a Hughes provocation soon became personal and Warner, who has a fierce reputation in the field, decided to leave before it escalated.

The Sydney Daily Telegraph alleged that Hughes described Warner as "unfortunate" and "weak". "

He claimed that a witness heard a direct reference to the death of Phillip Hughes.

" Everyone has his own opinion, but I think there is a difference between sledding and abuse, "added Warner's wife.

" I'm not going to go into what was said yesterday, but it was too far. Personally I would put (the comments) in the category (abuse), but I am speaking for myself.

"He withdrew himself in the first place because he did not like what he was hearing and where he could have taken it, it was painful, very painful."

Randwick-Petersham first-grade manager Bill Anderson told The Telegraph Warner that the comments were "very offensive to him."

"But he realized he had to play, he went around and left," he said.

"He was not tearful, but you could say that he felt quite affected by that, it was not a heated exchange, it was something that was said up close."

Warner was deploying on November 25, 2014, when Phillip Hughes was beaten by a goalkeeper Sean Abbott during a Sheffield Shield match at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Hughes, 25, later died of bleeding in the brain.

In the investigation, Warner said that Hughes had been one of his "closest companions" and missed him every day.

Warner, along with Steve Smith, was sent home in disgrace and banned from the handling scandal during the third test in South Africa in March.

He was blamed as the instigator of the incident in which Cameron Bancroft attempted to alter the ball with a piece of yellow sandpaper.

Two reviews triggered by the scandal, one focused on the culture of Cricket Australia and the other on the team, will be released on Monday.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.